Sunday, August 3, 2008

Shade Frame

For this Summer's growing season, I decided to set up a shade frame for the orchids. Last Summer, I put the plants underneath the canopy line of one of our trees. But, I could tell that the plants were not getting enough light because the leaves remained a green to dark green color.

I acquired the shade frame materials from Grower's Supply via web/mail order, choosing 40% aluminet as the cloth. The aluminet is reputed to be cooler than standard black shadecloth, (www.igcusa.com/greenhouse-shade-cloth-aluminet.html) which is important for those orchids that are not heat-tolerant, but rather cool-growing.

The orchids are sitting on single palets to raise them off the ground. We've saved palets from other home projects, and I've also scavanged some from neighbors who set out theirs for trash. If you don't have access to palets, check out Casa de Las Orchuideas's website for helpful tips (www.orquideas.com/growing/benches/benches.html).

George Hatfield of Hatfield Orchids, visiting at the time as a guest speaker for NCOS, suggested that I raise the plants higher off the ground so that more air can circulate around the roots, keeping the roots cooler. The higher elevation should also provide additional challenges to pests such as ants and slugs. I'll follow this advice for next Summer's season.

Each orchid is placed in its own tray. The idea is that the plants will suck up the remaining water, keeping moisture around the roots, as necessary. In dry spells, such as last Summer's drought, this was especially important. Whereas some plants last year produced accordian-shaped leaves (an indicator of less-than-optimal watering) on new growths, I haven't seen any accordian leaves this year. I do make a point of draining the trays each week to keep the mosquito population down, and I've never seen any larvae in the trays.

All in all, I'm pleased with the shade frame. Some plants got a little sunburnt moving them from my basement lights to the outdoors, so next year I'll add another layer of shade cloth for the first week or two to help the plants acclimate. I also place those species and hybrids that can take more sun in the places that get the most sun exposure. Presently, the leaves are a nice light green color. Of course, an important benchmark will be the yield and quality of flowering orchids come late Fall through early Spring. Stay tuned...

No comments: