Sunday, January 11, 2009

Estate Planning

I recently visited the widow of a longtime member of our orchid society who died last year to receive several orchids and corresponding supplies that are to be put up for sale at are society’s annual auction. The experience got me thinking... What do I want done with my orchids and orchid supplies if/when something happens to me and I can no longer care for the plants??

1. Do any of my survivors or caregivers want any of my orchids? Let’s face it—orchids are my hobby, and not everyone is keen to spend the necessary time to care for such plants. For example, my partner considers them only in the context of “pretty flowers”. So, the prevailing odds are that when I can no longer care for the orchids, they need to go to new homes.

2. Who and When? Orchid Society names and corresponding contact information are attached to my Medical Power of Attorney. If I should suffer a debilitating illness, then my caregiver is to contact some key members of my local orchid society to request either temporary orchid boarding or have these individuals come over to my home to care for the orchids while I recover. If my condition is deemed a long-term incapacitation or death, then my plants and supplies are to be donated to my local orchid society for auction. The sooner the plants find new homes, the better chance they’ll stay healthy and retain economic value.

3. Knowing that someone else will be faced with the task of grappling with and managing my collection, how can I pro-actively help this person? Well, I can stay current with updating the status and organization of my orchid notebook that comprises a master list of the orchids, their names, dates of virus testing, etc…I can also make sure that the plant tags and labels are actually available, attached to the respective orchid pot, and legibly written. Lost Tag’s, No Name’s and Gobbledygook’s quickly render an orchid with essentially no economic value. Also, the notebook contains instructions regarding how to water, fertilize, provide lighting (an issue for indoor husbandry), provide viable temperature ranges, avoid/control pest infestations, and avoid virus transmission, especially if any orchids need re-potting.

The widow remarked that at the time of her husband’s illness, she was simply overwhelmed, and understandably so. However, it was only after his death that she found notes on the computer, and by that time the orchids were suffering from lack of water and insect infestation. Unfortunately, several plants were thrown away as unrecoverable or infected with virus. The remainders are undergoing pesticide treatments to eradicate the scale and mealybugs. While a handful will be in reasonable condition for auction, the majority need at least another year’s worth of rehabilitation.

I realize that orchids are just plants. But, when you consider (do you?) how much time and money one actually spends on an annual basis to maintain an orchid collection, then it makes sense to make pre-arrangements for their care when you no longer can do so. I expect there are additional elements I haven’t thought of just yet. What are your ideas?

No comments: