Friday, December 16, 2011

Eastern Bunny at it, again(!)

It's presently grey and overcast, with temps cooling further from our morning high. While the stew is...stewing..., I thought I'd comment on what's in bloom down in the basement. I need something to cheer me up.

Eastern Bunny 'Oborozuki' is in the midst of repeat blooming for 2011. This clone is a blooming fool, at least for me. It flowered out 4+ spikes this past Spring and largely took the Summer off. I accidentally knocked it over back in August, breaking it's clay pot, so I decided to divide the plant before it got too big for me. In response, the remaining pseudobulbs sent out five spikes!













Did you know that it's fragrant? I don't think I had appreciated this quality before. Placing it between the dining room window and the dining table definitely adds to the ambience.

I'm always interested in color patterning, so I thought I'd begin documenting how my Cyms are marked by following examples shown in the botanical specimens. Below is a dissected EB'O'.













Here are the petals.













I pollinated it last year with a couple of different diploid Cyms, all of which came to naught. The pods swelled nicely, but upon dihencing, there wasn't any mature seed. Sadness. As much as I like it's compactness, fragrance and productivity(!), it's off to the local orchid society's auction block for this orchid.

No comments: