Friday, December 16, 2011

First bloom of (Brenda x Devon Odyssey)

This is a first bloom seedling of (Brenda x Devon Odyssey). Seventeen flowers on one inflorescence. I saw it's siblings in flower at Hatfield Orchids this past March.













Actually, I'm a little surprised that it's in bloom for me right now. The plant produced a spike this past August, I think in response to the Summer heat. Thankfully, the spike never blasted, even when the plant was brought indoors for the Winter.




















I'll be the first to admit that the form of this clone isn't good. Cym. erythrostylum's influence can still be seen in the grandchild via the porrect-trending petals and the distinctive bow-leggedness of the lateral sepals. In truth, I don't mind the porrect petals, but these traits show how dominant Cym. erythrostylum's form can become. If done right, the porrect petals can be a good thing. Conversely, the bow-leggedness, ... yeah, that's a flaw that begs correcting.



























What I did like about this clone is that the petals were more darkly colored than it's siblings that I saw at Hatfield Orchids. Maybe there's some potentiality here. However, given that the lip is a modified petal, and the distal portion of the lip curls downward, you can also see that the distal portion of the petals also recurves backwards. Not so good for form...














Neat lip patterning, don't you think?

No comments: